The Guedel Airways are designed to maintain a secure Oropharyngeal airway for the unconscious patient in emergency pre-hospital care. Also suitable for use within the hospital environment and during the anaesthetic peri-operative period. Available in nine different sizes.
Guedel Airways Features
- Rounded atraumatic edges
- Smooth airway path for easy airway suctioning
- Bite block to prevent biting of tongue or Endotracheal tube
- Colour coded for easy identification of sizes
- Single packed/ sterilePromed® guedels have the added advantage of atraumatic edges providing a reduced risk of trauma upon insertion and a variety of sizing options from 40mm to 120mm.
Clinical Application for Guedel Airways
- Maintain a patent airway
- For use in an unconscious patient
- Lifts tongue and epiglottis away from the back of the throat
- Prevents obstruction of the air passage
- Prevents patient from biting on tongue, ET Tube, clinician fingers
- Facilitates oral suctioning
- Improves mask fit during manual ventilation
Size Selection of promed® Guedel Airways
- The correct size of the oropharyngeal airway is chosen by measuring and aligning the flange of the airway with the centre of the patients lips and the tip touching the angle of the jaw.
- Should the airway not reach this distance a larger one should be selected.
- Equally, should the airway greatly exceed this distance, a smaller one should be utilised.
Guedel Airway Sizes are as follows:
- Size 000 (40mm)
- Size 00 (50mm)
- Size 0 (60mm)
- Size 1 (70mm)
- Size 2 (80mm)
- Size 3 (90mm)
- Size 4 (100mm)
- Size 5 (110mm)
- Size 6 (120mm)
Warning: For use in unconscious patients only. A Guedel airway is usually indicated for unconscious patients as there is a high probability that the device may stimulate the gag reflex in a conscious or semi-conscious patient. This could cause the patient to vomit and potentially lead to an obstructed airway.