A wonderful film to motivate and encourage women to breastfeed their babies. It focuses on the innate abilities of babies and mothers to establish breastfeeding and make it work, through stories from mothers of many backgrounds and scenes of newborns finding the nipple unaided. The comments from a lactation consultant reinforce the natural nature of breastfeeding whilst reminding viewers that if problems do occur, help will be available.
Specific topics on the DVD include:
- Babies are born with the skills to breastfeed
- Keeping mothers and babies together
- Recognising and responding to feeding cues
- Hand expressing
- Protective effects of breastfeeding for mother and baby
- How breastfeeding works
- Breastfeeding in special circumstances – returning to work, premature babies, feeding challenges
- Importance of accurate information and support for new parents.
Suitable for viewing by both parents and healthcare professionals within antenatal, postnatal, community and paediatric care settings.
Length: 16 minutes
Origin: Australia 2010