We have a big year planned. We are back offering workshops in Melbourne, Brisbane, and Sydney. Online options are also available. Book more than one workshop and receive a discount.
- Book 2 workshops and receive 10% off – Coupon Code: WSHOP2
- Book 3 workshops and receive 15% off – Coupon Code: WSHOP3
The Slice of Life – The Caesarean Birth Issue Sydney 2023
1st December 2023 at 9:00 am - 12:30 pm$75.00 – $135.00
In The Slice of Life – The Caesarean Issue, participants explore the caesarean section’s many faces, from its earliest origins as ‘section in mortua’ (cutting in death) to its current position as the most common surgical procedure performed on women in contemporary society.
Over a third of Australian women currently enter motherhood or subsequent motherhood via caesarean birth. Whilst research demonstrates that some women perceive caesarean section as life-giving, it can be life-shattering for others. This means that midwives are intricately entwined with this procedure in their work with women and how women experience it.
This workshop explores the longer-term health and sociological impacts and our roles as midwives supporting women before, during, and after caesarean section. We’ll also examine its uses in the future.
The Slice of Life-The Caesarean Birth Issue Workshop Sydney Aims:
- Explore the history and continuing evolution of the caesarean section
- Examine evidence regarding caesarean section
- Challenge the normalisation of the caesarean section and the use of language associated with the caesarean section
- Discuss women’s and their partner’s experiences of caesarean section
- Review information and education for women and their partners
By the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Critique recent and ongoing Australian research that investigated the meanings of caesarean section to women
- Appraise the implications of this research for midwifery practice, and discuss ways to facilitate the best birth experience possible
- Identify why reducing the caesarean birth rate is essential to improve health outcomes for women and their infants.
- Discuss the role of the midwife in reducing the caesarean birth rate
- Identify what information women want relating to Caesarean
- Develop specific caesarean content for preparation for birth and parenting education programs
Continuing Professional Development Points
CPD Endorsed hours: 3.25
Download our full The Slice of Life – The Caesarean Birth Issue Workshop program here FULL PROGRAM PDF
Learn more about our facilitator Lynne Staff.
The cost of The Slice of Life – The Caesarean Birth Issue Workshop is $135. The price includes morning or afternoon tea. Student and group discounts are available – contact us for details by email or phone us on (02) 9630 5357 for more information.
The Early Bird discount is $115.00. Save $20 when you register early! Registrations must be paid for by the 20th October 2023 to receive this discount.
Combine workshops to save even more.
Here are our dates for The Slice of Life – The Caesarean Birth Issue Workshop for 2023
- Melbourne: Friday 25th August 2023
- Brisbane: Thursday 14th September 2023
- Sydney: Friday 1st December 2023
Workshop numbers are limited.
If your hospital or area health service wants to sponsor a program on this topic for the benefit of you and your colleagues, please direct them to this link, which contains information on how to set up in-service courses through Birth International.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to keep up-to-date with all of our events!
Please note that the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic may cause the workshop’s cancellation at the last minute. If this occurs, you will be given a full refund or transfer to another workshop (whichever you prefer). If travelling to the workshop, we recommend purchasing travel insurance to cover any out of pocket expenses. Please note that some venues may require a vaccination certificate.